The Classic Vanilla Cupcake
Customers are always asking us to share our recipes as they just can't replicate our famous vanilla cupcakes at home. Well, here you go. Happy baking!
This was my late Grandmother's recipe and she would start every single baking session with a little pep talk about ingredients. Nannie (Paddy to all her friends) knew everyone and everyone knew her. People listened to what Paddy had to say! So when she told you to only use butter, room temperature eggs, and to use your pinky finger for scraping off the spoon, you listened.
It was with this basic and fundamental recipe that I started The Classic Cupcake Co. 10 years ago.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 16-18 mins
200 g plain flour
150 g caster sugar
125 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
125 ml whole milk (at room temperature)
2 large eggs (at room temperature)
1⁄2 tsp salt
2 tsp) baking powder
1tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170C (160C for fan oven)
- Either by hand or using a mixer, cream your butter and
- sugar together until the mixture is fully incorporated and
- lighter in colour.
- Sift your flour, baking powder and salt together into a
- separate bowl. This is your dry mix.
- Combine your wet ingredients (milk & eggs) and gently mix
- with a fork into a separate bowl.
- Add 1/3 dry mix to your sugar & butter followed by 1/3 of your wet mix.
- Repeat until incorporated into one batter.
- Turn mixer up to high speed for one minute or until the
- batter is pale and smooth.
- Put batter into cupcake cases and bake until springy to
- touch (approx. 18-20 mins depending on your oven).
Tips and suggestions:
* Fill your cases up to weight between 36g-38g for
the perfect cupcake ready to decorate with buttercream
* Chocolate Cupcakes: For delicious a light chocolate
cupcakes, simply replace 35g of the flour with high quality
cocoa powder (unsweetened)